Program available at/via: [Walla Walla][Clarkston][Corrections Education -CRCC][Corrections Education -WSP]
Program Overview: English Language Acquisition (ELA) classes are offered to limited English proficient students to develop communication skills, function effectively in jobs, pursue a higher degree, and participate as members of the community. Course pathways include Adult High School 21+ program, GED® tests, college, or current or future work. Students enrolled in IDEA (Integrated Digital English Acceleration) courses learn English and college and job skills. Classes may be taught using a team-teaching model to facilitate classroom and online learning. Ongoing pre- and post-CASAS assessments are required.
Program Level Outcomes: Upon successful completion of the program, students will:
- Demonstrate academic reading, math, and written and oral communication skills through the development of critical thinking and comprehension strategies.
- Recognize themselves as learners and citizens capable of accomplishing their academic and professional goals and contributing to the larger community.
- Engage in campus activities, utilize campus resources, and demonstrate the ability to transition to and navigate academic and professional environments.
- Demonstrate an increase in computer literacy and proficiency in using technology for academic and professional purposes.
- Use interpersonal skills and strategies in a multicultural context.
Entrance Requirements: Students are placed by CASAS in Levels I through V. Students may register any time during the quarter. There is a $25 fee per quarter.
CoursesEnglish Language Aquisition